Summertime heat getting you down? As temperatures climb, keeping your home cool can feel like an impossible task without cranking your air conditioner 24/7. Not only does that lead to sky-high electricity bills, it’s also wasteful and bad for the environment.
That’s where portable air conditioners come in. These freestanding AC units are the ideal solution for supplemental cooling when it’s blazing hot. Unlike heavy window units, portable ACs can be easily moved from room to room or stored away during cooler weather. Just wheel them wherever you need crisp, cool air!
But not all portable ACs are created equal. You want an energy-efficient model that will keep electric costs in check while still providing sufficient cooling power. With energy efficiency ratings, BTU levels, and various features to consider, choosing the right portable AC unit can get confusing.
Let this comprehensive guide eliminate the guesswork in picking an energy-efficient portable air conditioner for your space. We’ll overview the top-rated efficient models, explain what to look for when shopping, and answer frequently asked questions. Beat the heat without breaking the bank!
The Best Energy-Efficient Portable Air Conditioners
First, let’s explore some of the highest-ranking energy-efficient portable AC units on the market today. Models from reliable brands like Honeywell, LG, Frigidaire, and DeLonghi dominate the list.
While prices and availability fluctuate, these portable air conditioners represent the cream of the crop when it comes to cooling power, cost-efficiency, and convenient features. Read on for an overview of the top five models that will keep your home cool while minimizing energy usage.
1. Honeywell MO08CESWK Compact Portable Air Conditioner
For a reasonably priced portable AC that doesn’t skimp on cooling power, the Honeywell MO08CESWK is a top choice. This 8,000 BTU unit is ideal for rooms up to 350 square feet.
Despite its compact size, Honeywell packed this model with energy-saving features. It boasts an Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER) of 9.9, meaning it uses less electricity to provide the same amount of cooling as lower-rated models. The advanced auto-evaporation system also conserves energy by using condensation to help cool the unit.
The Honeywell portable AC allows you to control modes and fan speeds right from the included remote control. Plus its minimalist design and quiet operation (only 56 decibels) make it ideal for bedrooms and home offices. With flexible installation options and a reputable brand name, this model checks all the boxes for an efficient personal AC unit.
- 8,000 BTU cooling capacity
- 350 square feet coverage
- Energy Efficiency Ratio of 9.9
- Auto-evaporation system
- Programmable timer and remote control
- Sleep mode
- 56 decibel noise level
- Strong cooling for small to mid-size rooms
- Excellent EER rating and energy-saving features
- Good range of modes and fan speeds
- Minimal noise disruption
- Drainage hose may need occasional maintenance
- Window venting kit sold separately
- No smart home integration
Price Range: $300 – $400
2. LG LP0817WSR Portable Air Conditioner
LG’s sleek and stylish portable AC offers one-of-a-kind efficiency. This 8,000 BTU unit touts LG’s patented Dual Inverter Compressor technology. The dual inverters allow it to precisely control cooling energy usage based on the current conditions. That results in energy savings of up to 70% compared to traditional portable ACs!
Beyond smart energy optimization, the LG LP0817WSR is packed with cooling power. The included oscillating air vents evenly circulate air to eliminate hot spots. You can adjust the fan speed from low to turbo high. The 24-hour on/off timer maximizes convenience.
Monitoring your portable AC is a cinch with the LG ThinQ app. Control modes, view runtime, and more straight from your smartphone! With quiet operation down to 44 dB, this LG unit keeps rooms cool without the racket. Overall, it’s the ultimate modern portable AC for energy-conscious homeowners.
- 8,000 BTU capacity
- 150 square feet coverage
- Dual Inverter Compressor
- Energy Efficiency Ratio of 14.4
- LG ThinQ smart app connectivity
- Oscillating air vents
- 24-hour on/off timer
- 44 decibel noise level
- Cutting-edge dual inverter technology for maximum efficiency
- Smart home integration and controls
- Strong cooling capacity for up to 150 square feet
- Ultra-quiet operation
- Attractive modern design
- Higher price point than basic models
- Vent hose must be kept short for optimal efficiency
- No auto-restart after power outage
Price Range: $500 – $700
3. Frigidaire FPPH1099AF Portable Air Conditioner
For larger spaces up to 500 square feet, check out Frigidaire’s 10,000 BTU portable AC unit. It offers comprehensive cooling and dehumidification modes to handle hot and humid summer conditions.
The built-in humidity sensor activates dehumidification automatically when excess moisture is detected in the air. That prevents the growth of mold and mildew. The washable anti-bacterial filter also improves air quality.
When it comes to energy efficiency, this Frigidaire model boasts an impressive 12.2 EER rating. It meets Energy Star criteria for power conservation. You can optimize electricity usage even further by customizing the 24-hour on/off timer and activating sleep mode.
- 10,000 BTU capacity
- 500 square feet coverage
- 12.2 Energy Efficiency Ratio
- Auto-restart after power outage
- Built-in humidity sensor
- Washable anti-bacterial mesh filter
- 24-hour on/off timer
- Sleep mode
- Strong cooling capacity for large rooms
- High EER rating for excellent efficiency
- Effective dehumidification and air purification
- Customizable timer for convenience
- Good noise isolation in sleep mode
- Bulkier and heavier than some models
- Display controls can be confusing
- Noise level is higher than average on high fan speeds
Price Range: $400 – $600
4. DeLonghi PAC T100 ECO Portable Air Conditioner
Don’t let the petite size fool you – the DeLonghi PAC T100 ECO packs serious cooling punch while using minimal energy. Perfect for workshops, server rooms, and other small spaces, this 10,000 BTU AC unit is one of the most compact and efficient around.
A unique Eco REAl feature enables the DeLonghi portable AC to deliver peak cooling capacity using up to 40% less power than its rated wattage. The built-in 24-hour timer and auto mode further minimize energy waste when the room is unoccupied.
Despite its tiny footprint, this unit delivers customizable cooling with three fan speeds and cooling-only and dehumidifier modes. The washable filter saves you money on replacements. Overall, it’s a pint-sized powerhouse for efficiently cooling small spaces.
- 10,000 BTU capacity
- 290 square feet coverage
- Eco REAl power saving technology
- 24-hour on/off timer
- Adjustable fan speeds
- Washable air filter
- Auto mode
- Maximum energy efficiency for a 10,000 BTU portable AC
- Compact, lightweight design
- Eco-friendly refrigerant with zero global warming potential
- Customizable cooling options
- Affordable purchase price
- Minimal temperature controls
- No remote control included
- Condensation tank needs frequent draining
- Exterior gets hot while operating
Price Range: $300 – $400
5. Whynter ARC-14SH Portable Air Conditioner
Whynter’s dual hose 14,000 BTU portable AC is built for maximum efficiency. By using separate intake and exhaust hoses, it prevents cooled air from escaping while taking in fresh air. The result is faster cooling with less electricity usage.
This powerful unit can accommodate spaces up to 600 square feet. Three modes plus fan-only setting allow you to customize cooling as needed. To prevent energy waste, use the 24-hour programmable timer to activate cooling only when required.
Whynter’s auto-drain technology removes condensate without the hassle of emptying tanks. The washable pre-filter and carbon air filter keep the AC unit operating at peak efficiency. For substantial yet efficient cooling, this model is hard to top!
- 14,000 BTU capacity
- 600 square feet coverage
- Dual-hose system
- 24-hour programmable timer
- Three cooling modes plus fan only
- Auto-drain system
- Washable pre-filter and activated carbon filter
- Strong cooling capacity for large spaces
- Increased efficiency from dual-hose design
- Customizable cooling and timer options
- Reduced maintenance with auto-drain and washable filters
- Eco-friendly R410A refrigerant
- Bulkier and heavier than single-hose models
- Installation is more complex
- Higher price point than basic portable ACs
- Exterior gets hot while running
Price Range: $500 – $700
What to Look for in an Energy-Efficient Portable AC
Now that you’ve got a sense of the highest-ranking energy-efficient portable ACs, let’s cover what makes them so efficient. Keep these factors in mind while evaluating different models to zero in on the right choice for your needs and budget.
BTU Capacity for Room Size
BTU stands for British Thermal Unit and indicates the cooling power of an AC unit. The higher the BTU, the larger the space an AC can effectively cool. Compare the BTU rating to the square footage of the room where you’ll use the portable AC to make sure it’s sufficient. Here are some general portable AC BTU guidelines:
- 5,000 – 9,000 BTUs: 150 – 350 square feet
- 10,000 – 14,000 BTUs: 350 – 600 square feet
- Over 14,000 BTUs: Over 600 square feet
Oversizing your portable AC wastes energy since the unit will cycle on and off more than necessary. But undersizing won’t adequately cool the space. Pick the right BTU rating for optimal efficiency.
Energy Efficiency Ratio
One of the most crucial numbers to examine is the Energy Efficiency Ratio or EER. This measures how efficiently the portable AC converts electricity into cooling power. Specifically, it reveals how many BTUs are produced per watt of electrical power consumed.
Most portable ACs have EER ratings between 7 and 14. The higher the EER, the better! Look for models rated at least 10 EER or higher for maximum efficiency. Anything lower than 9 EER may waste too much electricity to be cost-effective.
Programmable Timers and Sleep Modes
To prevent energy waste, look for a portable AC with programmable on/off timers and sleep settings. A timer lets you set operating hours only when the room is occupied. Sleep mode gradually increases the temperature overnight when cooling isn’t needed.
Timers and sleep modes go hand-in-hand with energy savings by ensuring the AC doesn’t run unnecessarily. Even a basic programmable timer can cut the unit’s runtime by 30% or more!
Advanced Filtration System
Portable ACs with evaporative systems and multi-layer replaceable air filters tend to operate more efficiently. Keeping the filters clean enables optimal airflow. Some units have washable filters that never need replacing.
Advanced filtration also improves your indoor air quality! Models with activated carbon or antimicrobial filters remove airborne particles, allergens, and bacteria from the cooled air.
Multiple Fan Speeds
Look for portable ACs with at least three fan speeds to select from. Variable speed options allow custom cooling power. Run it at full blast when you’re in the room. But dial back to a lower fan speed when you’re stepping out or don’t need maximum chilling. Multiple fan speeds prevent energy waste from overcooling.
Minimal Noise Levels
Energy-efficient portable ACs generate less noise due to better-optimized internal components. Quieter operation also results from having sound-dampening materials in the casing. If possible, opt for a unit rated at 50 decibels or lower for minimal noise disruption.
Portable ACs require venting hot exhaust air outside, typically through a window kit. Single-duct models use one hose while dual-duct units have separate intake and exhaust hoses. Dual-duct systems work more efficiently because cooled air doesn’t escape out the exhaust. But they’re bulkier and costlier than single-duct models.
A power outage shouldn’t sabotage your AC! Models with auto restart functionality kick back on using the previous settings once electricity is restored. That convenience prevents energy waste from having to manually restart the cooling.
Smart and WiFi Capabilities
For ultimate convenience, look for a portable AC with smart capabilities like app control. Many Energy Star certified models integrate with smart home platforms. Controlling modes and adapting settings from your smartphone optimizes energy efficiency.
Frequently Asked Questions About Energy-Efficient Portable Air Conditioners
Considering an eco-friendly portable AC? Here we’ll tackle the most common questions about choosing and using energy-efficient models.
What does BTU stand for and how does it relate to energy efficiency?
- BTU or British Thermal Unit is a measurement of an AC unit’s cooling capacity. Higher BTU portable ACs have greater power but aren’t necessarily less efficient. Match the BTU rating to the room size for optimal efficiency. Oversized units waste energy.
What do the EER and CEER ratings mean? What scores indicate good efficiency?
- The Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER) measures how many BTUs an AC generates per watt of electricity used. EERs range from 5 to 15 for portable ACs. Look for models rated 10 EER or higher. The higher the EER, the better! CEER (combined energy efficiency ratio) indicates overall efficiency.
What are some key energy-saving features I should look for?
- Programmable timers, sleep modes, multiple fan speeds, auto restart, and advanced filtration all improve efficiency. Smart app control also helps optimize energy use.
How much more expensive are Energy Star models compared to less efficient portable ACs?
- Expect to pay $75 to $150+ more for an Energy Star certified portable AC over a comparable non-certified model. But you’ll make up the difference over time in electricity cost savings.
Should I get a single or dual hose portable AC for maximum efficiency?
- Dual-hose models work most efficiently by separating intake and exhaust air. But single-hose ACs sufficiently cool while using minimal energy when properly sized for the space. Dual-hose units also cost more upfront.
How can I calculate the energy costs of running a portable AC?
- Check the power draw in watts and utility rate per kilowatt hour, then multiply by the estimated runtime. For example, an 800-watt unit running 6 hours at $0.12/kWh would cost $0.72 to operate for that time period.
What maintenance can I do to keep my portable AC operating efficiently?
- Regularly clean filters, drain condensate tanks, and vacuum intake vents. Keep the exterior clean. Minimize duct length. Check the seals around hoses and windows. Follow all manufacturer maintenance recommendations.
How long can I expect an energy-efficient portable AC to last?
- With proper maintenance, an Energy Star certified portable AC should provide energy-efficient cooling for 6-10 years. Higher-end units may even last up to 15 years!
Are there rebates for buying energy-efficient appliances like portable ACs?
- Check with your electric company – some utilities offer rebates for purchasing Energy Star certified portable ACs. State/local governments also occasionally offer appliance upgrade rebates when replacing an old AC.
Beating the Heat with an Efficient Portable AC
Staying cool in the summer heat doesn’t have to mean outrageous power bills and unnecessary energy consumption. The right Energy Star certified portable air conditioner will keep your home comfortable while minimizing electricity usage.
Use this guide’s picks for the most eco-friendly models across all price ranges. Evaluate EER ratings, smart features, capacity, and sound levels to choose the perfect portable AC unit for your needs. Proper sizing and smart utilization is key to ensuring your new AC unit operates efficiently.
With a bit of research and planning, you can enjoy cool summer comfort guilt-free. Here’s to beating the heat without draining your wallet or wasting energy! Stay chill and save big with an efficient portable air conditioner.