Accent chairs with ottomans are a stylish and functional seating option that can instantly elevate the look and comfort of any room. The right accent chair brings a modern flair while the matching ottoman provides a place to kick up your feet. With so many great options to choose from, it can be tricky to find the perfect pair to meet your style and needs.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore the top modern accent chair and ottoman sets of 2023 to inspire your search. You’ll discover the key features, pros and cons, and ideal placements for the most popular models. We’ll also dive into the important factors to consider when choosing an accent chair and ottoman, from size and design to quality and budget.
By the end, you’ll know exactly what to look for to find the ideal accent seating to create a stylish, comfortable refuge in your living space. Let’s get started!
The Top 5 Modern Accent Chair and Ottoman Sets
To kick things off, let’s spotlight the top modern accent chair and ottoman sets that are turning heads this year. These stylish seats combine great design with plush comfort.
1. West Elm Mid-Century Leather Accent Chair and Ottoman
Overview: This iconic mid-century modern design from West Elm features a gently curved silhouette with angled wood legs. It’s upholstered in top-grain Italian leather for a luxurious feel. The matching leather ottoman has a slim, tapered profile.
- Top-grain Italian leather upholstery
- Walnut-finished bentwood frame
- High back with attached cushions
- Ottoman: 20″W x 20″D x 16″H
- Timeless mid-century modern look
- Quality materials and construction
- Generous size provides ample seating
- Ottoman doubles as extra seat
- Leather requires care and maintenance
- Armrests could be more padded for comfort
- Back doesn’t recline
Ideal Placement: This chair instantly elevates a living room, bedroom, or den with its iconic style. Place opposite a sofa or next to a reading nook. The ottoman tucks neatly underneath when not in use.
2. Joybird Eliot Mid-Century Modern Chair and Ottoman
Overview: This mid-century style accent chair from Joybird has a playful rounded silhouette with angled legs. It’s customizable in a range of fabrics or leathers. The rectangular ottoman is covered in the same material.
- Customizable fabrics, leathers, and wood stains
- Hardwood frame with foam cushioning
- Walnut or oak tapered legs
- Ottoman: 21.5″W x 19″D x 16″H
- Customize for the perfect colors and materials
- Comes in fabric, leather, or vegan leather
- Lots of happy customers praise comfort
- Back cushion attaches with elastic straps
- Lumbar support could be better
- Ottoman shape limits leg room
Ideal Placement: The adaptable style suits a living room, den, master bedroom, or office. Angle toward sofas or float in open floor plans.
Price: $899+ customization
3. Article Sven Tan Leather Chair and Ottoman
Overview: This leather chair from Article has a relaxed Scandinavian vibe with flared arms and tapered legs. It comes in several leather shades, paired with a leather storage ottoman.
- Top-grain leather upholstery
- Solid ash wood frame
- Loose back and seat cushions
- Storage ottoman: 18″W x 18″D x 18″H
- Quality leather with attractive wear over time
- Comfortable cushions are removable
- Ottoman storage for blankets, books
- Only available in leather
- Lumbar cushion would improve support
- Ottoman lid is not hinged
Ideal Placement: The relaxed Scandinavian look suits casual living rooms or bedrooms. Try angling near bookshelves or windows.
4. Modway Engage Upholstered Fabric Armchair and Ottoman Set
Overview: This budget-friendly set from Modway has mid-century flair with rounded arms and tapered wood feet. It comes in durable polyester fabric with an upholstered ottoman.
- Polyester blend fabric
- Plywood frame with foam filling
- Walnut wood legs
- Rectangular ottoman: 21.5″W x 25″D x 16″H
- Very affordable option
- Easy assembly with clear instructions
- Lots of happy reviews praise comfort
- Ottoman doubles as coffee table
- Polyester fabric prone to pilling
- Not as durable as pricier options
- Lumbar support lacking
Ideal Placement: This is an easy way to add a mid-century look on a budget. Works nicely in small spaces like apartments, dens, and offices.
5. Rove Concepts Swan Chair and Ottoman
Overview: This sculptural accent chair from Rove Concepts makes a dramatic statement with its curved egg-like seat atop a gleaming brass base. The upholstered ottoman echoes the shape.
- Premium foam and fiber cushion filling
- Brass-plated steel base
- Premium fabrics like boucle and velvet
- Egg-shaped ottoman: 19.5″W x 23″D x 16″H
- Unique, eye-catching design
- Luxe fabrics elevate the look
- Generous cushioning for cozy comfort
- Ottoman offers extra seating
- Open armrests don’t provide full elbow support
- Tight seat may not suit larger frames
- Dramatic style won’t appeal to all
Ideal Placement: Make a bold statement by floating this chair in an open living room or bedroom. Place the ottoman in front near the chair.
With highlights of the most popular modern accent chair and ottoman sets, you have a better idea of the key styles and options. Next, let’s look at the important factors to consider when making your choice.
Key Considerations When Choosing an Accent Chair and Ottoman
With so many great accent chairs and ottomans to choose from, it’s essential to keep your needs and style in mind. Here are the key factors to consider as you shop.
Size and Dimensions
One of the first things to determine is the ideal size chair and ottoman for your space. Measure the area you want to place them to ensure there’s enough room for the chair dimensions, plus walking clearance. Chairs that are around 32-35 inches wide and 30-33 inches deep suit most spaces.
Ottomans also come in different shapes like cubes, rectangles, and rounds. Make sure to measure the ottoman’s dimensions to ensure it will fit and function well. Round ottomans can double as coffee tables, while rectangle ottomans slip underneath chairs when not in use. Some ottomans offer storage space inside. Just be sure to measure doorways to ensure the chair and ottoman will fit during delivery.
Style and Design
Accent chairs span a spectrum of styles, so consider which design best fits your existing decor. Here are some of the most popular categories:
- Modern: Clean lines, wood or metal legs, neutral colors
- Contemporary: Current and trendy accent details
- Mid-Century Modern: Angled wood legs, rounded or boxy profiles
- Scandinavian: Light colors, natural wood tones, simplicity
Within those styles, chairs may have open or closed arm styles, different back heights and shapes, and various leg designs. Look for a chair with seamless, sleek lines or fun accent details to suit your personal style.
Don’t forget about ottoman shape and style as well. Square or rectangular ottomans tend to match modern and mid-century chairs, while round ottomans complement curved accent chairs. Leather or fabric upholstery should complement your chair.
While you want an accent chair to look stylish, it also needs to provide ample comfort for lounging and relaxing. Test chairs in person when possible to gauge the comfort, or look for key features that add support:
- Cushion padding: Thick, resilient foam and fiber will have more give than cheap, hard cushions. Premium down-alternative fill offers plush softness.
- Lumbar support: Contoured back cushions or pillows support the natural curve of your spine. Chairs without lumbar support can strain your back.
- Adjustability: Features like swivel abilities, recline functions, and movable headrests allow you customize comfort levels.
- Armrest padding: Padded, overstuffed arms offer cozy elbow support. Low or missing armrests are less comfortable for lounging.
Don’t forget to assess ottoman comfort too. Well-stuffed upholstery or tufted detailing makes a plush footrest.
The materials used to construct and upholster the chair and ottoman also affect the overall look, feel, and durability.
Upholstery options include:
- Fabrics: Cotton, linen, polyester blends. Easy to clean and more affordable.
- Leather/faux leather: Luxurious. Real leather ages well over time. Durability varies.
- Performance fabrics: Repel stains, pet hair. Easier maintenance.
Wood finishes include:
- Walnut: Rich mid-century style. Ages to dark brown over time.
- Oak: Durable, ages to warm brown. Budget friendly.
- Ash: Light gray undertones. Displays wood grain nicely.
Premium materials like top-grain Italian leather, solid hardwood frames, and performance fabrics will last longer but cost more. Make sure lower-priced chairs don’t cut corners on cushion fill, joint reinforcement, and upholstery quality.
Don’t forget to inspect ottoman details in addition to the chair construction. Here’s what to look for:
- Upholstery: Match chair or contrast? Durable fabrics?
- Tufting: Adds plushness and visual interest.
- Shape: Rectangle, square, cube, round? Consider leg room.
- Storage: Lift-top or slide-out drawer for blankets, toys, etc.
- Tray: Built-in drink or book rest.
- Casters: Wheels add mobility and easy repositioning.
Style tip: Choose an ottoman shape, size, and upholstery that complements your chair for a cohesive look.
Quality and Durability
You’ll want your new accent chair to last for years to come. Prioritize quality construction for longevity:
- Strong hardwood frame: Avoid cheaper plywood or plastic frames.
- Reinforced joints: Durable glue, screws, and corner blocks prevent loosening over time.
- Weight capacity: Look for at least 250 pounds for stability and safety.
- Warranty coverage: Better materials and construction equate to longer warranties.
- Customer reviews: Look for feedback on quality and durability from actual buyers.
Investing in a well-made chair with premium details will pay off in the long run.
Envision where you want to place your accent chair and ottoman before making a purchase. Chairs should complement existing furniture, not obstruct pathways or crowd the space.
Ideal accent chair placements include:
- Across from a sofa or loveseat
- Next to an end table as a reading nook
- Angled near a fireplace or TV
- Floating in an open concept room
- Corner of a bedroom or office
Place ottomans near chairs as footrests or alternate seating. Tuck them away when not in use. Ottomans also function well as coffee table substitutes in small living rooms.
Accent chair and ottoman prices vary widely based on size, materials, and construction quality. Here are typical ranges:
- Inexpensive: $200 – $400
- Mid-range: $400 – $800
- High-end: $800 – $2,000+
More budget-friendly options work well if you use chairs sparingly or want an easy decor upgrade. Invest more for heirloom quality pieces or everyday luxury.
Look for sales around holidays for significant savings on higher end chairs. If your budget is tight, you can also find quality pre-owned and vintage chairs to give your space a unique look.
Smart Shopping Strategies
Now that you know what to look for in a modern accent chair and ottoman, use these insider shopping tips to make the process easy and enjoyable:
- Try before you buy. Test chairs in person at furniture showrooms whenever possible so you can judge comfort, quality, and fit. Store staff can also help with sizing questions.
- Measure twice, buy once. Carefully measure your space, including entryways, so you get a chair and ottoman that actually fits. Nothing’s worse than buying a piece that doesn’t work in your home. Include room for walking around.
- Read reviews. Don’t just rely on beautiful website photos. Read buyer reviews on popular retailers like Amazon, Crate & Barrel, and West Elm to get candid feedback on comfort, quality, and ease of assembly. You’ll avoid disappointments.
- Compare prices. Shopping around can save you 10-20% on bigger ticket items. Check sales at furniture stores and home goods websites. Sign up for brand emails to get sale notices.
- Inspect materials first. Don’t assume lower prices mean lower quality. Less expensive chairs from trusted brands can still offer decent upholstery and cushioning. Look closely and feel the fabrics to evaluate quality.
- Calculate total costs. Budget for any shipping fees which can run $100+ for oversized items. White glove delivery services help place items in your home but cost more.
- Buy at sale times. Shop around major holidays like Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day for the best deals all year. Brands will run 15-20% off sales during these peak furniture buying times.
- Consider used chairs. Vintage stores and online resellers like Chairish offer unique, well-made accent chairs at steep discounts. Look for signs of quality construction that will last.
Styling Your Modern Accent Chair
Once you’ve selected the perfect modern accent chair and ottoman, it’s time for the fun part – styling them in your space! Use these interior design tips:
- Float it diagonally across from sofas or opposite other chairs to create an inviting conversation area in a living room. Angle the chair toward the main furniture grouping so it feels integrated.
- Create a cozy reading spot by placing an accent chair next to an end table or floor lamp. Add a blanket and stack of books on the side table for a relaxing reading nook.
- Define conversation zones in open concept living areas by floating two matching chairs or using one as a divider between spaces. Add a rug underneath to designate the area.
- Make it the star of a bedroom seating area by floating it at the foot of the bed. Angle it toward the bed for a pretty accent that invites use.
- Accent a corner in a bedroom, living room, or office by tucking a chair attractively into the space to fill it. Angle the chair slightly toward the center of the room.
- Layer with pillows and throws in complementary colors and patterns for a cozier feel. Solid chairs take patterned pillows nicely. Don’t overdo it.
- Add a side table for drink coasters, remotes, books, or other items you want handy when lounging. Round ottomans work nicely as side tables next to chairs.
- Style with plants to soften the look and add life. Trailing plants on hanging shelves or trellises work beautifully behind chairs.
- Use your ottoman as a spare seat when guests visit. Place it near your chair to prop your feet up or use as a coffee table stand-in.
- Try different angles until you find the perfect position in your space. Angle toward walkways for conversation or perpendicular to walls to fill awkward areas.
Take styling cues from your existing decor, choosing accent pillows, throws, and accessories that tie into your color scheme and design aesthetic. Soon your new modern accent chair and ottoman will feel like they were custom designed for your home!
Transform Your Space
We hope this detailed guide gives you the inspiration and knowledge to find your dream modern accent chair and ottoman set! Use the top picks and shopping strategies as a helpful starting point.
Keep your personal style, comfort, and quality priorities in mind as you search. And don’t forget measure carefully to ensure your new statement seats will enhance your space beautifully.
We can’t wait to see how you style your modern accent chair and ottoman in your home. They may just become your new favorite spot to relax and unwind!